Student Visa



The United States welcomes foreign citizens who come to the U.S. to study. Before applying for a visa, all student visa applicants are required to be accepted and approved by their school or program. When accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation, to be submitted when applying for a visa.  There are two types of student visas:

Visa Descriptions and Qualifications

F-1: This visa is the most common for those who wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school, or approved English language program. If you are going to the United States to study and your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you will need an F-1 or M-1 visa.

M-1: This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution.

More information about these visas and opportunities for studying in the United States can be found at the Education USA website.

Student visa interview waiver program
Some applicants may be eligible to apply or renew their student visa without appearing for an in-person interview. You will automatically be guided to answer questions about your eligibility for the interview waiver program when you apply for a student visa, either as first time applicant or as a renewal.

To qualify, you must meet all of the requirements below:

  • Same SEVIS number as your original I-20; or
  • Been issued new I-20 with new SEVIS number and paid a new SEVIS fee
  • Have travelled to US before either on prior visa or ESTA approval – submit copy of prior visa and entry stamp on passport.

In addition to these SEVIS requirements, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Studying at the same school and same major listed on your original and existing I-20 forms ; or
  • Studying at the same school listed on the original I-20, even if in a different major; or
  • Studying in the same major listed on your original I-20, even if at a different school;

Other Information

U.S. Public School
U.S. law does not permit foreign students to attend public elementary school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly funded adult education program.  Hence, F-1 visas cannot be issued for study at such schools.

An F-1 visa can be issued for attendance at a public secondary school (grades 9 to 12), but the student is limited to a maximum of 12 months at the school. The school must also indicate on the I-20 that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education and the amount submitted by the student for that purpose.

For more information about F-1 legal requirements, visit the Department of State website.

Note: Holders of A, E, F-2, G, H-4, J-2, L-2, M-2 or other derivative nonimmigrant visas may enroll in public elementary and secondary schools.

Student Assistance, Finding a U.S. School

Students who hope to enroll in an American educational institution are encouraged to contact and visit the Singapore - American schools at the United States Education Information Center (USEIC). You can contact USEIC by telephone at 6226-6996 or visit them at their location:

12 Prince Edward Road
#01-03 Bestway Building
Podium A
Singapore 079212


Spouses and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his/her stay require derivative F or M visas. There is no derivative visa for the parents of F or M holders.

Family members who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

Spouses and dependents may not work in the United States on a derivative F or M visa; if seeking employment, the spouse must obtain the appropriate work visa.

Application Items

Each applicant for a student visa must submit the following:

  • A Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. Visit the DS-160 webpage for more information.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
  • One (1) 2x2 photograph.
  • A receipt showing payment of the non-refundable nonimmigrant visa application processing fee (the MRV fee) paid in local currency. Please visit this page for information about paying this fee. If the visa is issued, there may be an additional visa issuance reciprocity fee, depending on the applicant's nationality. Please consult the Visa Reciprocity Tables to find out if you must pay a visa issuance reciprocity fee and what the fee amount is.
  • For F and M applicants: Approved I-20 from your U.S. school or program.
  • I-901 SEVIS fee receipt – fees payable at This fee is in addition to the MRV fee.
  • For more information about SEVIS, visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program website.

In addition to these items, every applicant must present an interview appointment letter confirming that they have booked an appointment through this service. Applicants may also bring whatever supporting documents they feel are necessary to support the information they are providing to the consular officer, for example evidence which shows the purpose of the trip, intent to depart the United States, and arrangements made to cover the costs of the trip.   Those applicants who do not have sufficient funds to support themselves while in the U.S. must present convincing evidence that an interested person will provide support. Depending on individual circumstances, applicants may provide other documentation substantiating the trip's purpose and specifying the nature of binding obligations, such as family ties or employment, which would compel their return abroad.

Supporting documents are only one of many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview.  Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors.   Consular officers may consider the applicant’s specific intentions, family situations, and long-range plans and prospects within his or her country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law.

Caution: Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality is of concern, the applicant should bring the documents to the Embassy in a sealed envelope. The Embassy will not make this information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of the information. If confidentiality is of concern, the applicant should bring the documents to the Embassy in a sealed envelope. The Embassy will not make this information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of the information.

Supporting Documents

  • Applicants must demonstrate strong financial, social, and family ties abroad that will compel them to return after the program of study.
  • Financial and any other documents you believe will support your application: credible evidence that you have enough readily available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have access to funds sufficient to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. (Note: M-1 applicants must demonstrate the ability to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.)
  • No Photocopies of bank statements will be accepted unless you can also show original copies of bank statements, or original bank books.
  • If you are being financially sponsored by another person, please bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor's most recent, original tax forms, and the sponsor's bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.
  • Academics: Documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferable) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.

Supporting Documents for Dependents

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student's relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.);
  • It is preferred that families apply for their visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student/exchange visitor visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

Additional Information

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
F-1 visa holders may be eligible for up to 12 months of optional practical training following completion of all course requirements for graduation (not including thesis or equivalent), or after completion of all requirements. OPT is separate from a student's academic work, and time for OPT will not normally be reflected during the student's academic program or in the completed study date. Students applying for a F visa to do OPT may present an I-20 with an original end of study date that may have passed. However, these I-20s must be annotated by the designated school official to reflect approval of an OPT program that extends beyond the end of the regular period of study. In addition, the student must have proof that USCIS has approved their practical training program or that an application is pending, either in the form of an approved Employment Authorization Card or a Form I-797 indicating that s/he has a pending application for an OPT program.

Validity of Student Visas After a Break in Studies

Students who are away from classes for more than five months can expect to apply for and receive a new F-1 or M-1 student visa to return to school following travel abroad, as explained below.

Students within the U.S.

A student (F-1 or M-1) may lose that status if they do not resume studies within five months of the date of transferring schools or programs, under immigration law. If a student loses status, unless USCIS reinstates the student’s status, the student’s F or M visa would also be invalid for future travel returning to the U.S. For more information see the USCIS website, and instructions for Application for Extend/Change of Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 to request reinstatement of status.

Students - Returning to the U.S. from Travel Abroad

Students who leave the U.S. for a break in studies of five months or more may lose their F-1 or M-1 status unless their activities overseas are related to their course of study. In advance of travel, students may want to check with their designated school official, if there is a question about whether their activity is related to their course of study.

When the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immigration inspector at port of entry is presented a previously used, unexpired F-1 or M-1 visa by a returning student who has been outside the U.S. and out of student status for more than five months, a CBP immigration inspector may find the student inadmissible for not possessing a valid nonimmigrant visa. CBP may also cancel the visa after granting the student permission to withdraw the application for admission. Therefore, it is prudent for students to apply for new visas at an embassy or consulate abroad prior to traveling to the U.S. to return to their studies, after an absence of more than five months that is not related to their course of study.