Apply for a U.S. Visa
in New Zealand
Retrieve My Passport
On this page:
Once your visa is approved, your passport will be returned to you in the manner you have opted.
- Visa processing time typically may take at least 5 to 7 business days. However, processing time for specific cases may vary due to an individual’s circumstances and other special requirements, and this may take a longer time. Visa processing cannot be expedited.
- Please do not pay for travel arrangements such as airfare without having a U.S. visa in your possession. The Embassy/Consulate bears no responsibility if you do so. The Embassy/Consulate is unable to guarantee the issuance of a visa before any fixed travel date.
- A business day is defined as a day between Monday and Friday (excluding U.S. and New Zealand public holidays observed in Auckland).
Track Your Passport
To track your passport/document, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the email address that you have registered in your profile when you created the profile in our system wherein your visa application is linked to. In your email, please indicate that you are tracking the status of your visa application and provide the following information:
- Applicant’s name;
- Applicant’s passport number;
- Applicant’s date of birth;
- Date of interview, OR, if you have applied via interview waiver, an indication of the date of submission.
Collecting Your Passport/Visa
- The applicant may pick up his/her passport/document at the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland ONLY on a Thursday (except U.S. & New Zealand public holidays observed in Auckland) between 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm. Please check here for holidays and closure dates.
- The applicant provides a pre-paid self-addressed courier bag with tracking when he/she attends his/her interview at the U.S. Consulate General OR if an applicant is applying for his/her U.S. visa via interview waiver, please include a pre-paid self-addressed courier bag with tracking in the interview waiver package.
Please ensure that the pre-paid courier bag is of the correct delivery cost and size that will fit the documents you are providing in support of your U.S. visa application.
To collect your passport/document from the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland, you must present your original (not a photocopy) government-issued photo ID. We recommend you also bring a printed copy of your appointment letter.
If a representative is collecting your passport from the document collection office on your behalf - even in case of family members - the representative must present the following documents in order to collect your passport/document:
- His / Her own original government-issued photo ID for identification.
- A photocopy of the applicant's government-issued photo ID.
- A letter of authority, with your name and signature, authorizing your representative (full name as shown on ID) to collect your passport / document.
Please note: For minors under the age of 18, a parent must present the written letter of authority. If the applicant is under the age of 16, the following documents are required:
- An original, signed letter of authority from either of the applicant's parents.
- A clear photocopy of the government-issued photo ID belonging to the parent who signed the applicant's letter of authority.
- The representative's original government-issued photo ID
Please also note: In case of a group/family, a single letter of authority with the required information for each of the applicants will be accepted.