Visas for Minors

On this page:

Scheduling a Visa Appointment: 

Requesting an Expedited Appointment:

Questions and Answers

Q: Do all minors need a visa?

A: All travelers, including minors, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Q: Do all minors pay the same application fee as adults?
A: Yes, they do.

Q: Do all minors need to schedule an interview appointment?

A: Every applicant requires an appointment.

Q: Do all minors have to come in person for their appointment?

A: Minors under the age of 2 do not need to come in person for a regular appointment.  All minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by both biological parents at the regular interview for their child's visa regardless the age.  The only exceptions would be death, divorce, a birth certificate showing father unknown, or legal custody due to other circumstances (e.g. adoption or orphans).  In each exception, a legal document would be required to show cause for the other parent's absence.  In the case of remarriage, the child's mother/father must appear with the current spouse (i.e. minor's stepparent). 

Q: Does each minor need to present a birth certificate at the time of the interview, even if he or she has a passport or cédula?
A: Yes, each minor under 18 years of age must present an original birth certificate at the time of the interview