Re-entry Permit

On this page:


If you plan to stay outside of the United States for more than one year but less than two years in duration, a re-entry permit is needed for readmission. You must be physically present in the United States when you file the application (Form I-131).  A re-entry permit may be sent to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad for you to pick up, if you request it when you file your application.  Departure from the United States before a decision is made on a re-entry permit application does not affect the application.

Generally, a re-entry permit is issued for two years from the date of issuance.  However, a re-entry permit issued to a conditional resident shall be valid either for two years from the date of issuance or to until the date by which the conditional resident must apply for removal of the conditions on his or her status, whichever date comes first.

Check Status

  • To check the status of your re-entry permit application with USCIS, please visit the USCIS site.
  • To check if your re-entry permit has been received by the U.S. Embassy Seoul, please visit here.

If your re-entry permit contains a typographic error, please visit the USCIS site.

Schedule Appointment 

  • To schedule your appointment, please do so by clicking here. 

* Note: All recipients 14 years of age or older must schedule appointment and pick up in-person. Please bring your I-797C, passport and green card. If you are picking up on behalf of your child under 14 years of age, you must also bring a copy of family relation certificate.