Boarding Foil - Lost, Stolen, Expired Green Cards 


U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues Permanent Resident Cards (I-551) to immigrants who are legally admitted for residence in the United States. Permanent Resident Cards (commonly known as “Green Cards”) can only be issued or replaced in the United States and cannot be obtained overseas.  A green card is required for re-entry into the United States as a legal permanent resident.

If an applicant has one of the following items, a boarding foil is not required:
You should consult the air carrier prior to applying for a boarding foil (completion of an I-131A form and payment of the fee).

  • An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date,
  • An expired Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended,

    Note: If you have an expired Green Card with a 2-year expiration date AND a Form I-797, Notice of Action, showing that they have filed a Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on their permanent resident status, the Form I-797 extends the validity of the card for a specified length of time, generally one year.

  • Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.
  • A valid Reentry Permit.

If you have left your Green Card in the Unites States, you should ask a friend or relative in the United States to send you the card.

If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or expired, you may be able to obtain a “Boarding Foil” valid for 30 days, for a single entry authorizing a transportation line to carry you to the United States without penalty. To issue a “Boarding Foil”, we must be satisfied that you hold legal resident status in the United States.

How to Apply

Pay the I-131A filing fee online.

  • Pay the filing fee using a credit or debit card or U.S. bank account through the USCIS online payment system ELIS. Be sure to read the instructions before you pay as the fee is not refundable regardless of the decision on the application.
  • You must bring either a printed email receipt or a confirmation page when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. USCIS will not provide applicants an I-131A fee refund if an individual should have applied for a SB-1 instead of a Boarding Foil.

Schedule an appointment.

To schedule your appointment, please click on “Create Account” here and go through the process.

Note: Boarding Foils can only be processed during normal business hours on an appointment basis at U.S. Embassy Jakarta. We cannot process Boarding Foil requests on weekends, U.S. National holidays, Indonesian National Holidays, after hours, or without an appointment.

Bring the following documents

  • A completed Form I-131A Page 1 – 3 (and page 4-5 if applicable)
  • Copy of payment receipt for the I-131A online, i.e. a printed email receipt or a confirmation page
  • Valid passport
  • Your airplane tickets (the ticket showing your last departure date from the United States)
  • Evidence of your U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status (e.g. passport showing the admission stamp to the United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident, copy of your green card if available)
  • Evidence that you were in the United States within the last 12 months
  • Police report to prove the Green Card was lost or stolen. Detailed explanation is required as to when and to whom you reported loss or theft of the card if police report is not available
  • One U.S. passport size photo taken within 30 days. Note: applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in the photos.

Processing time will depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of information and evidence you provide. It normally takes 2-3 business days to issue a Boarding Foil. Once issued, it will be attached to your passport page and you or your representative need to come to the Consular Section to pick it up.

Lawful Permanent Resident Child Born Abroad

Under U.S. immigration regulations, children who meet the following criteria do not need to obtain a visa to immigrate to the United States.

  1. The child born abroad after the issuance of an immigrant visa is accompanying parent within the validity of the parent’s immigrant visa, or
  2. The child born during the permanent resident mother’s temporary visit abroad provided that;
    1. Admission is within 2 years of birth; and
    2. ii. Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child.

Generally, the child should present the following information or documents to apply for admission.

  1. Valid passport or travel document
  2. Child’s birth certificate listing both the mother and the father (An English translation if the original document is not in English)
  3. Proof of parent’s permanent resident status (a valid permanent resident card “green card”, or a valid re-entry permit)


8 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations of the United States of America), Section 211.1(b)(1):

(1) A waiver of the visa required in paragraph (a) of this section shall be granted without fee or application by the district director, upon presentation of the child’s birth certificate, to a child born subsequent to the issuance of an immigrant visa to his or her accompanying parent who applies for admission during the validity of such a visa; or a child born during the temporary visit abroad of a mother who is a lawful permanent resident alien, or a national, of the United States, provided that the child ‘s application for admission to the United States is made within 2 years of birth, the child is accompanied by the parent who is applying for readmission as a permanent resident upon the first return of the parent to the United States after the birth of the child, and the accompanying parent is found to be admissible to the United States.