Application Refused under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 221(g)

On this page:

To Submit Additional Documents

Refusal under Section 221(g) means that essential information is missing from an application or that an application has been placed on administrative hold. The consular officer who interviews you will tell you at the end of your interview if your case is being refused under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 221(g). The officer will either tell you that the case has to undergo administrative processing, or will ask you to submit additional information.

If further information is required, the officer will tell you how to submit that information. As part of this process, you will be given a written letter and will have to submit the requested documents without having to pay a new visa application fee. After one year, an application refused under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 221(g) is terminated per Section 203(e).

If the Embassy or Consulate requested additional information or documentation from you, you must submit those documents at a CGI

.Sending Documents through Cargo Expreso
If the consular officer instructed you to send documents through Cargo Expreso. This web page explains how to submit your documents for delivery to the Embassy. After you submit the documents requested, you will be notified by e-mail when your visa is ready to be picked up at the Cargo Expreso office you selected. If documents or information is still missing, you will receive a notification with information to complete your visa processing.

Scheduling an Additional Interview
If the consular officer instructed you to submit documents in person at a follow-up interview, you must request an appointment at 1:30 p.m. by calling 502-2376-1978 or click here to create a profile and schedule your appointment.

Important: Please make sure you qualify for a 221g appointment, to prevent any delays in your process.

Waiver Processing with USCIS

If at the end of your interview at the Embassy, the consular officer found that although you have a visa ineligibility, you may apply for a waiver with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please read the following information.

The Form I-601 (waiver) should be submitted directly to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after your visa interview at the Embassy. If you only need to submit the I-212, send it to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) District Office with jurisdiction over your place of deportation. For more information, please call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283. The detailed instructions are found here:
Form I-601: and Form I-212:

When USCIS makes a decision on your waiver, the Immigrant Visa Unit will call you with instructions on how to proceed with your immigrant visa. If the phone number you provided during your first interview changes, please update it by sending an e-mail to

Please note that the I-601 provisional waiver proposal, for filing before departing the U.S., is not yet in effect. Therefore you must attend your interview on the scheduled date. The Department of State may cancel your immigrant visa registration if you fail to appear at this interview. For additional information, please review the alert published by USCIS.

Administrative Processing

ome refused visa applications may require further administrative processing. When administrative processing is required, the consular officer will inform the applicant at the end of the interview. The duration of the administrative processing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. Except in cases of emergency travel (i.e. serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family), before making inquiries about status of administrative processing, applicants should wait at least 180 days from the date of interview or submission of supplemental documents, whichever is later.

Applicants whose cases are Refused under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 221(g) may check the status of their cases by clicking the link below corresponding to the Embassy/Consulate where they were interviewed:

If you would like to update your telephone number or request information about your administrative process, please send an e-mail to Note: Before inquiring about your administrative process, you or your representative must wait at least 180 days from the date of your interview or the submission of supplemental documents, if applicable. We appreciate your patience.

You may check your immigration visa application status online here by entering your visa case number.