Visas for Children

On this page:

Questions and Answers

Q: Do children need a visa?

A: All travelers, including children, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Q: Do children pay the same application fee as adults?

A: Yes, they do.

Q: Do children need to schedule an interview appointment?

A: Every applicant requires an appointment.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?

A: No. Only children applying for F-1, M-1 and J-1 visas are required to appear in person for an interview. Children dependent of an F1, M1 or J1 are NOT required to come in person. For more information click here.

Q: Do children need any additional document?
A: Yes. Children are required to have their birth certificate. If the child is travelling with only one parent we will need to see: the other parent’s travel consent signed, the copy of the other parent’s passport or the court document showing the sole custody.