Renew My Visa
On this page:
- Renewal Procedure - Qualifications
- Children and adults aged 79 or older
- How to Apply through Renewal Procedure by Mail
- Required Documents
Certain nonimmigrant visa applicants who were issued a previous U.S. visa do not need to schedule an interview at the Consular Section and may use the Renewal Procedure by Mail. In addition children under age 14 and adults aged 79 or older who apply for U.S. visa through the Renewal Procedure by Mail provided they meet all the requirements.
Renewal Procedure - Qualifications
You are eligible for the Renewal Procedure if you meet ALL the following requirements:
- You are a citizen of Ukraine.
- You are applying for the same visa class as your previous visa.
- If you are applying for a B1/B2 or C1/D visa, your previous visa was issued the full validity and is currently valid or expired no more than 12 months ago.
- If you are applying for an I visa, your previous visa was issued the full three year validity and is currently valid or expired no more than 12 months ago.
- If you are applying for an F or M visa, you are either: a) continuing participation in the same program even if at a different institution; or b) attending the same institution even if in a different program, and you possess a current valid visa or a visa that expired no more than 12 months ago.
- If you are applying for an H, L (except for Blanket L), O, P, or R visa, you must possess a current valid visa or a visa that expired no more than 12 months ago.
- Your application is not subject to any ineligibility to receive a visa under U.S. visa law. Your last visa application was not subject to administrative processing.
- Your application for a visa has not been refused or if refused, it has been overcome.
The Consular Section reserves the right to request that any applicant appear in person for an interview after reviewing his or her application. Please plan your travel accordingly.
NOTE: Per the U.S. Presidential Executive Order signed on January 27, 2017, nonimmigrant visa applicants are no longer eligible for an interview waiver if their previous visa expired more than 12 months ago. All applicants who do not meet requirements for the Renewal Procedure by Mail should schedule a regular nonimmigrant visa interview appointment. The Consular Section in Kyiv is no longer scheduling any special interview waiver renewal appointments for Wednesday afternoons.
Children and adults aged 79 or older
Important information for children
Children under age 14
Children aged 14-16 with prior 10 fingerprints submitted by the child
Children aged 14-16 without 10 fingerprints submitted by the child or who never previously received a visa
Please follow the regular application procedure in order to schedule an appointment and follow the Traveling with Children procedure.
Adults aged 79 or older
Applicants who are 79 or older, citizens of Ukraine, and meet the requirements for the Renewal Procedure do not need to appear in person for the interview. Applicants aged 79 or older who have not previously applied for or received a U.S. visa also do not need to appear in person. Such applicants can submit their visa applications through the Renewal Procedure by Mail.
How to Apply through Renewal Procedure by Mail
Pay the visa application fee. The Visa Fees webpage lists all visa fees associated with the most common nonimmigrant visa classes. The Pay My Visa Fee webpage provides instructions how to submit payment.
Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) and print the confirmation page.
Create an account on the Registration webpage. If you meet the requirements for Renewal Procedure by Mail, follow the steps to receive a Renewal Confirmation Letter containing a document checklist. Print the Renewal Confirmation Letter and bring it to a TMM Express office along with the required documents. A TMM Express employee will seal your documents in an envelope and deliver them to the U.S. Embassy.
If additional information is needed to complete processing of your case, you will be informed by email. If your application is approved, your passport and U.S. visa will be delivered to the TMM Express location selected when you printed the Renewal Confirmation Letter. Details on passport delivery are available on the Track & Receive My Passport webpage.
- Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) confirmation page. Please ensure you are applying for the correct visa classification.
- Renewal Confirmation Letter.
- Valid international passport.
- Passport with the prior U.S. visa. If your prior U.S. visa is still valid and you do not have the visa in your possession, you must obtain confirmation from the passport agency (OVIR) that the old passport containing the visa was destroyed. If your prior visa has expired and you no longer have your prior passport, you do not need confirmation from OVIR. If your passport with a US visa was lost, stolen, or destroyed by local authorities, you must complete the form (click here for form) and attach it to your visa application package.
- Additional documents depending on the visa class may be required. Please visit our individual pages describing visa classes and document requirements.
- Additional required documents for children under age 16:
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate
- Original notarized statement from BOTH parents giving permission for the child to travel to the U.S., together with a photocopy of the original biographic information page and signature page of each parent's internal or international passport;
- Copy of the parents’ visas/legal status of the accompanying person
The original notarized statement from BOTH parents for a child to travel abroad is NOT required if:
- One of the parents is deceased; a death certificate of the deceased parents should be submitted.
- One of the parents was denied paternal rights; the court decision on depriving parental rights should be submitted.
If the whole family is submitting documents (e.g. parents with children), please make sure to place all documentation together into one envelope. Family needs to have one visa renewal confirmation letter with the list of needed documents for visas.
NOTE: Failure to provide any of the required documents described above will cause a delay in visa processing. If a document is not listed, it is not required. For example, please do not provide photocopies of previous passports, bank statements, property deeds, etc.