On this page:
Each applicant - including children - must have their own DS-160 visa application. The DS-160 must be completed and submitted online prior to your interview at the Embassy. The barcode number on the DS-160 confirmation page is required in order to book your interview. The DS-160 must be submitted online. The Embassy will not accept handwritten or typed applications and you will not be permitted to attend your interview without a DS-160 confirmation page.
Note: When you sign your DS-160 electronically, you are certifying that all the information contained in it is true and correct. Misrepresenting any facts could render you ineligible to enter the United States. Please double-check that all your answers are accurate and that every question is answered completely.
Guidelines for Completing the DS-160
Complete and submit your DS-160 after reviewing the nonimmigrant visa application process. You must submit your DS-160 application online prior to making an appointment for an interview at the Embassy.
- The interview post you select at the beginning of the DS-160 must be the same post where you schedule your interview appointment.
- All questions must be answered in English using English-language characters only, except when you are asked to provide your full name in your native alphabet.
- If you stop working on this application for more than 20 minutes, your session will expire and your data will be lost. You will have to start over, unless you have recorded your Application ID Number and saved your application. To safeguard against data loss, click the "Save" button frequently and download the file to your local computer. Select a place on your computer to save the DS-160 file, browse to that location, and click the "Save" button in the "Save As" window.
- You are required to upload a photograph taken within the last six months as a part of the DS-160 process. Detailed guidelines for taking and submitting a quality photograph are on the U.S. Department of State website here. When you print your DS-160 confirmation page (see next step), you should see your photo on the document. If you do not see your photo on your confirmation page, or if you are unable to upload your photo, then you must bring one printed photograph to your consular interview.
- The completed DS-160 application form will generate an alpha-numeric barcode confirmation page. Print this page.
- Once you have printed the barcode confirmation page, hit the "Back" button on your web browser and then email yourself a backup copy of the DS-160. The emailed file will be in PDF format, which requires Adobe Acrobat to view or print.
A new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form and associated barcode must be submitted with each and every new visa application. A DS-160 and barcode from a prior visa interview or drop-off service will be rejected and result in a delay of your visa application.