Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


Important Notice: Starting January 1, 2018, the Diplomatic/Official Visa Services Window is closed on the last Wednesday of each month.

The U.S. Embassy Bangkok maintains a Diplomatic and Official Visa Services Window for diplomats, national-level government officials, and International Organization employee traveling to the United States on official business who qualify for an A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, or C-3 (diplomatic) visa. The U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai does not offer the Diplomatic and Official Visa Services Window.

The possession of an official passport does not mean that an applicant automatically qualifies for an official/diplomatic visa.

The window is open on Monday and Wednesday afternoons during 13.30 – 15.00 hrs., except for Thai and U.S. national holidays.

A messenger from the organization is allowed to drop off the passport and visa application on behalf of the Diplomatic/Official visa applicant.

The determination regarding qualification for a diplomatic or official visa is made by a Consular officer. Applicants will be instructed how to proceed if their purpose of travel does not qualify. Applicants DO NOT need to pay the visa application fee unless so instructed by a consular officer. The visa application fee is non-refundable, even if paid in error.

Please bring the following documents for submission at the Diplomatic and Official Visa Services Window:

– Original valid passport

– Completed DS-160 online application form (each individual requires his/her separate DS-160). Each applicant is required to print out his/her own DS-160 confirmation page. The application form is available at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

– Diplomatic note from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or note verbale from the sending organization

– Invitation letter from sponsoring organization and itinerary

– 2X2 inches color photo with white background taken within the last six months with no glasses on. Please see further instruction in the embassy website: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-photoinfo.asp

For more information, please see the "Diplomatic Visa" section at https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Attention: A-3 and G-5 visa applicants are required to appear for a visa interview and have their fingerprints scanned, but are exempt from the visa application fee. For more information, please see the “Accompanying an A-1, A-2, or G-1 - G-4 Visa Holder (A-3 or G-5 Visas)” section at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-typedomesticemployee.asp

To download the Employment Contract Template for A-3 and G-5 visa applications, please click here.

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas and G visas.