On this page:
Applicants are not permitted to enter the U.S. Embassy/Consulate while carrying any of the following items:
- Electronic devices:
- Cellular phones, photo cameras, video cameras, laptop computers, tablets (such as iPads), e-readers, chargers, wires, USB flash drives, voice recorders, hair dryers, batteries, personal stereos, calculators, headphones, electric razors, electronic cigarettes, etc..
- Large bags and luggage. (Small personal bags such as purses and briefcases are permitted.)
- Sharp items:
- Knives, forks, scissors, nail clippers/files, razors, pins, needles, knitting needles, glass bottles, syringes, etc.
- Flammable items:
- Matches, lighters, flammable liquids, perfume, sprays, lacquers, deodorants, alcohol
- Any weapons or ammunition or explosives of any kind.
- Food items, other than baby food/formula in non-glass containers. (If you are applying at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, refreshments are available for purchase in the waiting area.)
- Liquids that are not thoroughly sealed.
This list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff.
There are limited facilities at the U.S. Embassy/Consulates to store cellular phones measuring 3 cm x 13 cm x 6 cm or smaller. For speed of processing, we recommend that you make every effort not to bring phones to your appointment. There are no facilities to store any other prohibited items. You must make arrangements to store these items before you enter the Embassy/Consulate.
Due to security considerations, there is no information window for walk-in visitors at the U.S. Embassy/Consulates. Only visa applicants with scheduled interviews will be admitted. All items brought onto the premises are subject to inspection or search by U.S. Embassy/Consulate personnel.