Renew My Visa
On this page:
The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
The program applies to the following visa categories:
B1/B2 (Business/Tourism) Visa Applicants:
- Who have a previously issued B1/B2 visa which is either still valid or has expired within the last 12 months and have been interviewed after January 1, 2008.
Visa applicants with the age of 80 or more are also entitled to use this program.
F, J*, M (Students and Exchange Visitors) Visa Applicants:
- Who have a previously issued F, J*, or M visa which is either valid or has expired within the last 12 months, have been interviewed after January 1, 2008, and will continue participation in the same program or attendance at the same institution as in the previous visa.
- Applicants must present the I-20 form (OPT card, if applicable) or the DS-2019 form in original. I-20/DS-2019 must be signed and dated by the applicants.
*(Does not apply to Summer Work Travel Program)
C1/D (Crew Members) Visa Applicants:
- Who have a previously issued C1/D visa which is either still valid or has expired within the last 12 months and have been interviewed after January 1, 2008.
- Applicants must present the current employment contract or letter of employment in original.
I (Foreign Media Representatives) Visa Applicants:
- Have a previously issued I visa which is either still valid or has expired within the last 12 months and have been interviewed after January 1, 2008.
O-1 (Aliens with Extraordinary Ability), O-2 (Accompanies or Assists O-1 holder) and O-3 (Dependant of O-1 or O-2) Visa Applicants:
- Have a previously issued O-1/O-2/O-3 visa which is either still valid or has expired within the last 12 months and have been interviewed after January 1, 2008.
Please note that:
Please note that if you are applying for a visa with a temporary passport, your visa will be limited as well. If you have applied for a visa with a temporary passport in the past, you will be asked to obtain a full validity passport prior to visa issuance. To avoid delays in visa processing, please apply with a full validity passport. Full validity Romanian passports are valid for five years. If your passport is valid for one year or less, it is a limited validity passport.
Minor applicants are entitled to apply for a visa using the Visa Renewal Program if they meet all eligibility criteria.
Applicants qualify for Drop Box if their previous visa interview, took place at a US Embassy after January 1, 2008, they were over the age of 14 and all of their 10 fingerprints have been captured.
Please note that the Consulate reserves the right to call applicants for an in-person interview for any reason deemed necessary by the adjudicating Consular Officer.
Applicants do not qualify for Drop Box if:
- Their nationality requires a visa issuance fee for the visas they are seeking (Click here for more information about visa issuance fee);
- They have been personally requested to appear in person for an interview by the US Embassy/Consulate General;
- Their last visa has the phrase ''Clearance Received'' printed on it;
- Their last visa application was refused;
- Their last US visa was lost or stolen. EXCEPTION: They do qualify if they can provide a letter from the police stating they had a previous passport lost or stolen with a valid US visa in it;
- They are currently in the US;
- Since their last visa was issued, they applied to extend or adjust their immigration status while in the US;
- Since their last visa was issued, they have been arrested or deported or they have violated the US immigration laws or regulations;
- Their last visa has errors in their gender, date or place of birth;
- If they changed their names (regardless of the reason), do not qualify for the Visa Renewal Program. They will have to come to the visa interview;
- J1 Summer Work Travel visa applicants are not eligible for this program. They will have to come to the visa interview.
Visa applicants wishing to take advantage of this service should ensure they send their application and supporting documents to the Embassy by TNT.
You will need to send the documents by TNT Express (TNT pick up locations). To do so, you have to go to a TNT pick up location and submit the DropBox Confirmation Letter and all the other required documents. This service is free of charge.
Important: If you want a TNT courier to pick up the documents from your home/office, you have to pay an additional fee.
The following documents are mandatory for all non-immigrant applicants regardless of visa type:
- a valid passport and all previous passports containing U.S. visa;
- one recent photograph which was never used in a previous application;
- The DS-160 application form;
- Any other documents specific for the visa type such as I-20 form, DS-2019 form, seaman’s book etc.