You are here: Home / Apply for a Visa
Apply for a Visa
On this page:
Please confirm whether or not you need to apply for a visa. You may not need to apply for a new U.S. visa if you already hold a valid U.S. visa or are a national of a Visa Waiver Program participating country.
If you do need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, please follow the steps below.
Please also check if you are exempt from paying the MRV fee. You may be exempt if:
- You are applying for an A, G, or NATO visa for official travel. Please check here about how to apply for a visa.
- You are applying for a J visa to participate in certain U.S. Government-sponsored programs (with program codes beginning with G1, G2, G3, or G7). Please check here about how to apply for a visa.
- If you hold a diplomatic passport. Please e-mail to confirm if you are eligible for this waiver. Contact the Embassy in Warsaw at NIVDocsWRW@state.gov or Consulate General in Krakow at KrakowNIV@state.gov.
How to Apply
For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants:
Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type explains the qualifications and application items. Choose the visa type that applies to your situation.
Be sure to also review the Visa Waiver Program. If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need to apply for a visa if you are traveling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the Unites States for 90 days or less.
Once you have determined the correct visa type, you must pay the visa fee. The visa fee page lists the visa types and correlating visa fee in US dollars and native currency.
To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page. This page explains how to make your visa fee payment. You must keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment.
The next step is to complete the DS-160 form. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Formcarefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. The call center cannot help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.
You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment!
Now you will need to create a profile in our system. Follow this link and click on New User.
Complete all fields and create a password. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard. Click on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu.
This will start the process for scheduling your appointment. You will need:
- Your passport number
- The receipt number from your Bank Pocztowy or other payment options.(Click here if you need help finding this number or see the other payment options.)
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment and finally, schedule your appointment.
Visit the U.S. Consulate/Embassy on the date of your visa interview. When you register for an appointment, you will be given a time to enter the Consular Section. For your safety and convenience, we ask that you arrive at this time, and not earlier. We don’t want you to have to wait on the street, particularly during periods of harsh weather.
You will need to bring:
- A printed copy of your appointment letter,
- Your DS-160 confirmation page,
- One photograph, if you did not upload your photo to DS-160 form or uploaded photo does not meet the requirements.
For your convenience a photo booth is available at the consular reception inside the Embassy in Warsaw. It produces photographs of the required size and format for a charge of 20 PLN. Exact change is required. Please note that this service is not required and applicants may continue to bring their own photographs.
- Your current passport and all old passports,
- Additional documents depending on the visa category:
- Business/Tourist Visa
- Work Visa
- Student Visa
- Exchange Visitor Visa
- Transit/Ship Crew Visa
- Religious Worker Visa
- Domestic Employee Visa
- Journalist and Media Visa
Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.
If your application is approved, your passport and visa will be made available one of two ways:
- for an additional fee of 24 PLN, your passport can be delivered to you by TNT Express, or
- for no additional charge it can be held for you to pick up at the address you specified when you scheduled your interview.
Details on passport delivery are available on this webpage.