You are here: Home / Security Screening
Security ScreeningOn this page:
As you prepare for your visit to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, there are a few things you can do to help speed your entry. The safety of our guests and employees is something we take very seriously so all visa applicants and American Citizen Services (ACS) customers must go through security screening before entering the Consular Section To help avoid unnecessary delays for yourself and others, there are a few things which you should not bring:
- Large shoulder bags/purses – bigger than the size of an A-4 format page and zip folders. Applicants may bring one plastic bag or folder with application related documents or a small purse or handbag. Immigrant visa applicants may bring their visa application materials and the sealed envelope with the results of their medical examination.
- Luggage, such as suitcases, backpacks, briefcases, and other travel bags. These items cannot be brought to the Embassy/Consulate and cannot be left outside the Embassy/Consulate on the sidewalk or with individuals waiting outside. You may wish to leave your luggage in your hotel room or a train station locker.
- Battery-operated or electronic devices such as cameras, laptops, recording devices or portable music players.
- Food and drink.
- Sealed envelopes or packages, except for sealed envelopes containing medical exam results.
- Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters.
- Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files.
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind.
- Cellular telephones must be left with Embassy/Consulate security personnel.
This list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff.
There is no facility at the Embassy/Consulate to store prohibited items (aside from cellular telephones). You will need to make arrangements to store these items elsewhere before entering.
Only American Citizens seeking ACS services or visa applicants and ACS customers with a confirmed appointment will be admitted to the Consular Section.
Unfortunately, there is no parking available at the Embassy/Consulate and cars cannot stop or stand on the street in front of the building. Visa applicants and ACS customers arriving by car should park in one of the paid public parking spots near the Embassy/Consulate or arrange to be dropped off down the street.