Applications for Boarding Foils
On this page:
- Lost/Stolen Green Card
- How to Apply for a transportation boarding foil
- What should I bring to the appointment
- What if I lost my Green Card when visiting Denmark/Sweden?
Lost/Stolen Green Card
A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year. If you have lost or had your Green Card stolen, a Boarding Foil facilitates boarding by the airline to transport you back to the U.S. Processing time for this service is approximately 2-5 days.
How to apply for a transportation boarding foil
You must make an appointment to visit the Immigrant Visa Unit and apply in person. In order to be processed for a Boarding Foil by the U.S. Embassy in Oslo, you will need to complete the following steps prior to your appointment date:
- Download and complete the Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) – Form I-131A. You will need to know your Alien Registration Number (A Number) in order to complete the form;
- Create an online USCIS account to pay the fee of $360.00 USD for the I-131A application. (Note: This is the only acceptable means of payment for the I-131A application). Kindly note that this fee is non-refundable.
- Please forward the payment confirmation, a scan of the biographical page of your passport, and your Alien Registration Number to: OsloLPR@state.gov. Upon receipt, the Embassy will contact USCIS to confirm your status and then schedule your appointment. Please note that we can only process applications for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents who have been outside the United States for less than one year and who intend to return to the U.S. within 30 days.
What should I bring to the appointment?
- Your valid passport (if you lost your passport or had your passport stolen, we will not be able to issue you a Boarding Foil until you have applied for and obtained a new one);
- Original Form I-131A completed and signed;
- Proof that the application fee of $360 has been paid;
- Police Report (if your Permanent Resident Card (I-551) was lost/stolen);
- Proof of being outside the United States for less than one year since last departure, such as flight ticket / electronic itinerary which shows your last departure from the United States and your upcoming return to the US;
- One passport photo in color 5×5 cm, full face, white background;
- A self-addressed envelope with at least 30 NOK of stamps on it for the return of your passport after processing.
What if I lost my Green Card when visiting Denmark/Sweden?
Please contact the Consular Section at U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen/ Stockholm for assistance with a transportation boarding foil.