Submitting 221(g) Documents

On this page:


The U.S. Embassy or Consulate may give you a 221(g) letter directing you to submit additional documents or information related to your visa application. Your application will be kept on hold at the Embassy or Consulate until you submit those documents.

All documents and information requested in a 221(g) letter should be submitted via fax, mail or email (Tokyo and Osaka only) within one year from the date you received the 221(g) letter. Failure to submit the required information within one year will result in the refusal of your visa application. You will be required to submit a new visa application and pay all associated fees in order to continue with your visa application process

How to Submit 221(g) Documents

Electronic Copies via Email


U.S. Embassy Tokyo:

U.S. Consulate Osaka:


Attachments must be in PDF format and not exceed 2MB.

Please send an email with the following information.

  1. Subject: Please write applicant’s name in English and case number in the Email subject line. (e.g. Yamada, Taro; Case number 123/456-7)
  2. Name in English (Given name /Middle name/ Surname)
    Note: Write your full name exactly as it appears in your passport
  3. Passport number
  4. Date of Birth (Day/Month/Year)
  5. Case number
  6. Post Name
  7. A scanned copy of a 221(g) letter if possible. Otherwise, please list the requested documents or information that was described in your 221(g) letter.

This email address is for submitting additional documents only.  Please do not send visa or case status inquiries to this address as they will not receive any response.

Original Documents via Mail


If you received instructions to send original documents by mail:

Step 1

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will give you a pre-addressed LetterPack 360 envelope (addressed to the Embassy or Consulate) to submit your documentation after the interview

Step 2

Mail the required documents in the Letterpack 360.

Step 3

Japan Post will deliver your documents to the Embassy or Consulate.

Step 4

Japan Post will return your passport to the address you designate. If your visa is issued, the visa will be included inside your passport.

Track 221(g) Documents

To track your document to the Embassy or Consulate, you must peel off the tracking sticker (Sender to Retain) on a pre-addressed envelope before mailing in your documents and keep it for your record.

You may track the location of 221(g) Documents with the Track & Trace Service which can be found here.