Apply for a U.S. Visa
Apply for a Visa
On this page:
Please confirm whether or not you need to apply for a visa. You may not need to apply for a new U.S. visa if you already hold a valid U.S. visa of the classification appropriate to your purpose of travel, or hold a passport eligible for travel under the Visa Waiver Program, or if you hold a Canadian passport.
If you do need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, please follow the steps below.
Note: Children applying before their 14th Birthday or applicants applying on/after their 80th Birthday or if you previously received a U.S. visa that expired within the last 12 months and you are returning to the United States for the same purpose of travel, you may be able to obtain a visa without coming to the consulate for an interview. Click here to learn more
How to Apply
For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants:
Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type explains the qualifications and application items. Choose the visa type that applies to your situation.
Be sure to also review the Visa Waiver Program.If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need to apply for a visa if you are travelling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the Unites States for 90 days or less.
The next step is to complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. The call center cannot help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.
Note: If denied visa previously please complete a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Once you have determined the correct visa type and completed the DS-160, you must pay the visa fee. The visa fee page lists the visa types and correlating visa fee in US dollars and native currency.
To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page.This page explains how to make your visa fee payment. You will create a profile and must keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment.
You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment ! Now you will need to login to your profile with the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard.
Click on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu. This will start the process for scheduling your appointment.
- You must schedule two appointments, one for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one for the visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
- First, schedule your appointment at an Visa Application Center. This appointment will allow you to go to one of the five Visa Application Center locations to have your fingerprints and photo taken. This appointment must be at least 1 day before your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.
- Second, schedule your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.
You will need three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment:
- Your passport number
- The visa application fee receipt number.
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.
For your Visa Application Centre appointment, you will need to bring:
- A passport valid for travel to the United States with validity dates at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
- Your DS-160 confirmation page.
- Your appointment confirmation page.
- One photograph as per U.S. visa specifications if the applicant is under 14 years of age . See the Photos and Fingerprints page for more details.
Following your visit to the Visa Application Centre to have your photo and fingerprints taken, you will then visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You will need to bring:
- A printed copy of your appointment confirmation letter,
- Your DS-160 confirmation page stamped at the VAC
- Your current and all old passports,
- Supporting Documents as per your visa type
Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.
Note: Children under 14 years of age are not required to attend the appointment at the Visa Application Centre or visa interview at the Embassy/Consulate. Accompany/Guardians/Parents can carry the above documents.