Visas for ChildrenOn this page:
Questions and Answers
Q:Do children need a visa?
A: All travelers, including children, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.
Q: Do children pay the same application fee as adults?
A: Yes, they do.
Q: Do children need to schedule an interview appointment?
A: Every applicant requires an appointment.
Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?
A: Yes. All children, except derivatives for "A" and "G" visas, must come in person for their appointment.
Q: Who should appear with children applying for visas and what should they bring?
A: People desiring to travel to the U.S. with a minor child should be prepared to present the following, in addition to any other documentation the consular officer may require:
- Child’s Birth Certificate AND
- Both parents should be present at the child’s visa interview, if possible
- IF both of the parents listed on the birth certificate are not present for the interview, the following documents will be required depending on the situation
- A signed, notarized statement from the child’s parent(s) granting permission for the child to travel to the United States, specifically listing which, if any, adults will be travelling with the children and explaining their relationship to the children. This notarized statement must also include a notarized copy of the identity document that the parent(s) showed the notary (passport, national ID card). A notarized statement is required from any parent that is not accompanying the child to the interview. OR
- A death certificate for the parent who is not present
- A copy of court documents showing that the accompanying parent has been granted full custody of the child
- In general, parents should make every attempt to accompany their minor children to visa interviews, even if they will not themselves be travelling or applying for a visa. The consular section may require interviews with both the parents and the travelling companion of the child
- Even in the case of expedited or group appointment requests, these requirements are still in place. To ensure timely processing of your visa, please arrive prepared with the required documentation