Renew My Visa
On this page:
The U.S. visa application process is in many ways the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
Drop-off visa services are available in order to expedite the visa application process. In most cases, using this service eliminates the need to come in for an interview. Like an interview, however, the use of the drop-off service does not guarantee visa issuance. Further, we may, in some cases, after reviewing an application submitted through the drop-off service, require a person to appear for an in-person interview.
You may be eligible to apply for a U.S. visa without an interview based on your age, or if you are renewing a prior U.S. visa that expired less than 12 months ago.
Qualification for Drop-off Service Based on Age:
- Children under 14 years of age, and applicants age 80 or older, may apply through the drop-off service if they have not been previously found ineligible for a U.S. visa. Please see below in “Supporting Documentation" to ensure the correct documents are included with the application.
- These applicants must be a citizen or resident of Finland.
- These applicants must be physically present in Finland.
Qualification for Drop-off Service Based on Past U.S. Travel:
- You may also be eligible to apply through the drop-off service if you were previously issued a U.S. visa.
- Your prior visa must have been issued to you when you were age 14 or older, and your fingerprints must have been collected.
- You must be a citizen or resident of Finland.
- You must be physically present in Finland.
- You must be applying for the same type of visa.
- If your previous visa was a B (temporary visitor for business/pleasure), C-1 (transit), D (crewmembers), F (students), J (exchange visitors), M (nonacademic students), or O (visitors with extraordinary abilities), the visa must be currently valid or must have expired within the last 12 months.
- If you are renewing an H-1, H-4, L, P-1 or P-2 visa, the visa must be currently valid or must have expired within the last 12 months.
- You may not use the drop-off service if you are applying for an I visa (journalist and media visa), P-3 visa (entertainment/performance visa), or H-2B visa (unskilled worker visa).
- To be eligible for the drop-off visa renewal service, F-1 visa applicants must plan to continue attending the U.S. school or institution in which they are already enrolled, and J-1 visa applicants must plan to continue in an exchange program in which they are already participating.
- If your previous visa was marked as "clearance received", you are ineligible to apply for a U.S. visa without an interview.
- You may not use the drop-off service if you lost your previous passport that had a valid or expired U.S. visa.
- The DS-160 application form confirmation page.
- One Photograph: Two inches square (51mm x 51mm) color photograph, less than 6 months old, against a white background, full frontal view.
- Application fee receipt number (or other document which shows that application fee has already been paid).
- Children under 14 years old:
- Extract from the Population Information System in Finland (virkatodistus) showing the child’s parents or legal guardians.
- A written description of the child’s intended purpose of U.S. travel that includes contact information for the U.S. inviter and a description of his or her relationship to the child.
- Copies of the parents’ passport biographic information pages OR national ID cards.
- Copies of the parents' current and/or previous U.S. visas, if available.
- Please note, if a parent or parents are applying in-person for a visa at the U.S Embassy, not through the drop-off service, the parent(s) may book an appointment in the child’s name and drop off the child's application at the time of their own interview.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders:
- Research/study plans with information about your planned studies or research in the United States, including the name and e-mail address of your advising professor and/or the head of your department in the United States.
- Business travelers: Include a copy of the invitation letter, itinerary, and applicant’s resume with the application.
- C-1/D applicants: Provide a current joining letter (original copy preferred) and photocopy of your work ID:
- Please review the requirements for your applicable visa category to determine other essential and recommended documentation.
How to Apply
Log-in to our online applicant system and create a profile to pay the visa application (MRV) fee. Once logged in, choose “Schedule appointment”. As you go through the process you will answer the drop-box questions which will evaluate your eligibility to apply for a visa without an interview.
After you answer the questions, you will be prompted to pay the visa fee. If you are eligible to apply for a visa without an interview, you will receive detailed instructions on how to deliver your documents. Depending on the visa category, you may require additional documentation and a reciprocity fee. Please refer to your specific visa category page for additional required documents.
When you are ready to submit the application documents, please send us an e-mail to email@example.com and we will send you an address label which will allow you to mail the application documents to the Consulate free of charge.
You should receive the e-mail within 1 – 2 business days.
Visit an Itella Post office and use the pre-paid address label to mail in your application documents to the US Consulate.
At the end of the visa adjudication process, Posti will return your documents and your passport to you at the chosen pick-up location in your profile. You can change the pick-up location by accessing your profile. If issued, your passport will contain your visa.