Green Card Abandonment (Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident status)

On this page:


As a permanent resident of the United States holding a Green Card (permanent resident card) you will have to maintain your status in order to continue to be admitted to the United States as a permanent resident with your card. You can find guidance on USCIS’s website regarding how to maintain your permanent resident status (LPR status).

If you find that you are not able to maintain your status because you reside permanently outside the United States, or for other reasons chose to remain outside the United States for long periods of time, you may wish to voluntarily abandon your LPR status and permanent resident card (Green Card) in order to avoid complications and delays at the U.S. port of entry when applying for entry to the United States as a non immigrant.

How to return the “Green Card”

Lawful permanent residents within Denmark can send their I-407 and green card to the London USCIS Field Office by following the instructions on this web page.

Please note that when you mail your I-407 and accompanying documents to the USCIS London field office from Denmark you will have to provide a self-addressed envelope, but stamps are not needed. Alternatively you can provide your e-mail address, and an encrypted electronic version of the processed form will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.

We strongly recommend that you bring a copy of the processed I-407 with you next time you travel to the United States, in order to facilitate your entry as a non-immigrant.

After returning the “Green Card”

Signing the I-407 and handing in your card will formally communicate to the immigration authorities that it is no longer your intent to return to the United States as a permanent resident.

When you give up your status and your card, you also give up the rights and benefits that go with that status. If at a later time you want to live, work or study in the United States, you will have to obtain the appropriate visa in order to do so. If you want to go back and be a permanent resident in the United States, you will have to go through the process of applying for a new immigrant visa.

The consular section will sometimes receive inquiries as to whether a former permanent resident will have problems entering the U.S. after the Green Card has been returned.  We cannot provide any assurances on this matter.  It is always the immigration officer at the port of entry who determines whether a traveler to the U.S. may enter the country (either with a visa or under the Visa Waiver Program with an approved ESTA).

Please check the USCIS website at for additional information on permanent resident status.