Visas for Children and Senior Citizens
On this page:
Applicants age 80 and above or younger than 14 do not need to be fingerprinted and often do not need to be interviewed.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements above, follow the steps below to create a profile. After you have created your profile, you will answer a question to establish eligibility to mail-in your application and not schedule an interview. You will not require an appointment if you are exempt from an interview.
Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Log-in to our online applicant system and create a profile to pay the visa application (MRV) fee. Once logged in, choose “Schedule appointment”. As you go through the process you will answer questions which will evaluate your eligibility to apply for a visa without an interview.
You will need three pieces of information in order to register online:
- Your passport number
- The CGI reference number from your payment receipt. (Click here if you need help finding this number.)
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
After you answer the questions, you will be prompted to pay the visa fee.
Gather your DS-160 confirmation page, fee receipt, current and previous passports, photo, and a letter explaining your travel purpose and itinerary. Depending on the visa category, you may have to submit additional documentation (e.g., if you are the dependent child of a student or an exchange visitor). Please refer to your specific visa category page for additional required documents.
Documents specific to children under 14:
- A copy of the parent’s or guardian’s issued visa or ESTA approval
- Proof of relationship between the parent and child, for instance a birth certificate or adoption papers
- If one parent is not travelling with the child, you may include a statement from the non-travelling parent or guardian authorizing the travel, along with copies of both parents’ passports or identity documents. You may also submit court documents demonstrating that the applying parent has sole custody of the minor child.
When you are ready to submit the application documents, please send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you an address label which will allow you to mail the envelope containing the application documents to the Consulate free of charge. You should receive the e-mail within 1 – 2 business days.
Mail your documents through Deutsche Post. If your application is approved, the consulate will issue your visa and the Deutsche Post will return the passport to the address indicated in your online profile.