H2A, H2B, H3 and H4 Visa Appointments
On this page:
H-2A visas can be issued to seasonal agricultural workers to fill temporary agricultural jobs for which U.S. workers are not available. H-2B visas are issued to skilled and unskilled workers to perform a job which is temporary or seasonal in nature and for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers. H3 visas are issued to Trainees to receive training other than graduate or medical education training that is not available in the home country, or Special Education Exchange Visitor to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program for children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. In both cases, the applicant’s employer must have previously obtained authorization from the Department of Labor. H4 visas are intended for dependents of all H visa holders.
If the employer has received a Form I-797 from the Department of Labor, the applicant or applicants may request an H2A, H2B, H3 or H4 appointment online as described below. It is not possible to request or schedule an appointment with an agent by telephone. However, if you have questions about the online process, click here to request assistance.
How to Apply
Do NOT enter any applicant biographic information into the system before submitting the H Visa request and get a final response. If you do enter an individual, this record will not be part of the rest of the group. H Visa requests are intended for Groups of at least two people.
The employer or H Visa coordinator uses the online appointment system to click on
and submit an H Visa request. It is not possible to submit a request through an agent. Once the request is submitted, wait for a response from the Consulate which will come via email.
If the Consulate approves the request, the employer or H Visa Coordinator will receive an email inviting him or her to return to his or her profile to schedule your appointment or appointments for each member of the group. A call center agent cannot schedule H Visa appointments, but they are able to assist with questions. Should the Embassy deny the request for a group appointment, a notification will also be sent by email.
Note: The email confirming or denying your request comes from firstname.lastname@example.org. Some email applications have rules which filter unknown senders into a spam or junk mail folder. If you have not received your email notification, please look for the message in your junk and spam email folders.
A separate visa application fee must be paid for each H visa applicant.
Each H Visa applicant must complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form and print the confirmation page.
The employer or H Visa coordinator returns to his or her profile at the online appointment system and clicks on the
button to begin scheduling the H Visa appointments. He or she should have at hand three pieces of information about each H Visa applicant:
- The H Visa applicant's passport with the applicant’s full name, passport number, date of birth, passport expiration date and other important data located on the passport's biographical page
- The H Visa applicant's visa application fee receipt number. Click here for help locating this number.
- The 10-digit barcode number from the H Visa applicant's DS-160 confirmation page
The employer or H Visa coordinator selects the approved H visa appointment request corresponding to the correct group, as in the example below:
If the employer or H Visa coordinator frequently schedules H visa appointments, it is important to select the correct H visa request.
Each H Visa applicant is added as a "Dependent" to the employer or H Visa coordinator's profile. The employer or H Visa coordinator can choose to be a member of the group or not.
The group goes to the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of their visa interviews. Each member must have a printed copy of the appointment letter, DS-160 confirmation page, one photograph taken within the last six months, a current passport and all old passports, and the original visa fee payment receipt. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.
Important Points to Remember
- Once the H visa request has been approved, the employer or H visa coordinator has a limited time to complete steps one through six. Typically, it is a timeframe of seven days, but the employer or H Visa coordinator should refer to the confirmation received by email. In case the request expires, the employer or H Visa coordinator must start over and submit a new request.
- The employer or H Visa coordinator should perform steps 1, 2, 3 and 5 for H Visa applicants. Each applicant must complete his or her own Form DS-160.
- If an H Visa applicant has already scheduled an appointment, he or she is no longer elegible to be an H Visa applicant. He or she must attend the visa interview alone.
- If the H visa applicants are applying under an approved I-797 petition, such as H2A or H2B visa applicants, in Step One the employer or H Visa coordinator must upload a legible copy of the approved I-797 as part of the request.