DS-160 InformationOn this page:
Each applicant - including children - must have their own visa application. The application is known as the Form DS-160. The DS-160 must be completed and submitted online prior to your interview at the Embassy. The barcode number on the DS-160 confirmation page is required in order to book your interview. The DS-160 must be submitted online. The Embassy will not accept handwritten or typed applications and you will not be permitted to attend your interview without a DS-160 confirmation page.
Note: When you sign your DS-160 electronically, you are certifying that all the information contained in it is true and correct. Misrepresenting any facts could render you ineligible to receive a visa. Please double-check that all your answers are accurate and that every question is answered completely. We do not recommend working with third parties that charge a fee to fill out the DS-160 and/or any other application documents on your behalf. Such businesses are not endorsed by, associated with, or affiliated in any way with the Department of Homeland Security, the State Department, or any agency of the United States Government.
Guidelines for Completing the Form DS-160
Complete and submit your DS-160 after reviewing the nonimmigrant visa application process. You must submit your DS-160 application online prior to making an appointment for an interview at the Embassy.
- The interview post you select at the beginning of the Form DS-160 must be the same post where you schedule your interview appointment.
- All questions must be answered in English using English-language characters only. Characters such as ñ, é, ü, and ç are not recognized by the system. The only exception is when you are asked to provide your full name in your native alphabet.
- You are required to upload a photograph taken within the last six months as a part of the DS-160 process. Detailed guidelines for taking and submitting a quality photograph are on the U.S. Department of State website here. You must bring the photograph to your interview.
- If you stop working on this application for more than 20 minutes, your session will expire. You will have to start over, unless you have recorded your Application ID Number or have saved your application to a file on your computer. Write down the Application ID displayed on the top right-hand corner of the page. If you need to close the browser before submitting your application, you will need this Application ID to continue your application”.
- The completed Form DS-160 application form will generate an alpha-numeric barcode confirmation page. Print this page.
- Once you have printed the barcode confirmation page, hit the "Back" button on your web browser and then email yourself a backup copy of the DS-160. The emailed file will be in PDF format, which requires Adobe Acrobat to view or print.
The Form DS-160 is online here.
You can find information and an FAQ about the Form DS-160 here.