Renew My Visa
On this page:
The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for renewal by mail:
- The applicant is renewing a full validity visa
- Applicant has not been refused a visa after the expiration of a previously issued visa
- The previous visa was issued on or after June 27, 2007
- The previous visa is still valid, or expired within the past 12 months
- The applicant is applying in the same visa category and at the same issuing Embassy/Consulate
- The applicant is applying in his/her country of residence and is currently physically located in his/her country of residence.
- The previous visa is still in the applicant’s possession
- The applicant is returning to the same institution or workplace as was indicated in the previous visa application (except B visas)
- The applicant has never been arrested or convicted of a crime, deported from the United States, or denied entry to the United States
- All sections of the DS-160 online application have been answered completely and accurately
How to Apply
Log-in to our online applicant system and create a profile to pay the visa application (MRV) fee. Once logged in, choose “Schedule appointment”. As you go through the process you will answer the drop-box questions which will evaluate your eligibility to apply for a visa without an interview.
After you answer the questions, you will be prompted to pay the visa fee. If you are eligible to apply for a visa without an interview, you will print out the “Application Drop-Off Letter” which you will include with your visa application to be mailed.
Gather your DS-160 confirmation page, MRV fee receipt, current and previous passports, photo, and a letter explaining your travel purpose and itinerary. Depending on the visa category, you may require additional documentation and a reciprocity fee. Please refer to your specific visa category page for additional required documents.
At the end of the visa adjudication process, the U.S. Embassy will return your documents and your passport to you at the chosen document delivery address in your profile. When the documents are dispatched you will receive an email with the tracking number. You can change the delivery address by accessing your profile. If issued, your passport will contain your visa.
Important Note: The use of the mail-in service does not guarantee visa issuance. In some cases, applicants may still be required to appear for a visa interview. Examples of this include incomplete and/or inaccurate applications.