Renew My Visa
On this page:
The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for renewal by mail:
- The applicant is renewing a full validity visa
- Applicant has not been refused a visa after the expiration of a previously issued visa
- The previous visa was issued on or after June 27, 2007
- The previous visa is still valid, or expired within the past 24 months
- The applicant is applying in the same visa category and at the same issuing Embassy/Consulate
- The applicant is applying in his/her country of residence and is currently physically located in his/her country of residence.
- The previous visa is still in the applicant’s possession
- The applicant is returning to the same institution or workplace as was indicated in the previous visa application (except B visas)
- The applicant has never been arrested or convicted of a crime, deported from the United States, or denied entry to the United States
- All sections of the DS-160 online application have been answered completely and accurately